Washing dishes is a daily task, seemingly simple for many women, but there are still mistakes that women are prone to make when using dishwashing liquid incorrectly. It is absolutely necessary to avoid keeping the whole family healthy.
The results of a survey show that there are 8 common mistakes people make when using dishwashing liquid, potentially causing many risks of poisoning the body and polluting the environment as follows:
- 1 1. Pour dishwashing liquid directly onto dishes
- 2 2. After washing, rinse only
- 3 3. Soaking food containers in dishwashing liquid for too long
- 4 4. Use bleach to clean chipped tools
- 5 5. Take too much dishwashing liquid for one use
- 6 6. Use soap/detergent to wash dishes
- 7 7. Buy floating dishwashing liquid of unknown origin
- 8 8. Don’t wear gloves when washing dishes
- 9 Use dishwashing liquid for the environment
- 10 What Are The Dangers Of Ingesting Dishwashing Detergent?
1. Pour dishwashing liquid directly onto dishes
Many people think that pouring concentrated dishwashing liquid directly on the dishes will have a higher cleaning effect. It is true, but it is recommended not to pour the detergent directly on food containers because doing so is both a waste and a possibility that after rinsing with clean water, the amount of chemicals left on the surface of the bowl. many discs. When reused to store food, the chemicals left in it will mix with the food, enter the human body, and in the long run will cause disease.
Therefore, advice to everyone when using dishwashing liquid, use a separate tray, mix a little soluble in water, and stir well to bubble up before using. Or you can put dishwashing liquid on a wet washcloth, rub it into foam, and then use it to clean.
2. After washing, rinse only
Some busy housewives often use the excuse of ‘don’t have time, so when washing dishes, they usually just rinse them so that they can see no detergent foam. However, you don’t know that visually, we can hardly notice the chemicals still clinging to the surface of the dishes if only lightly coated. Therefore, to clean these substances, there is no other way that you have to rinse them thoroughly, 2-3 times in a basin of clean water after washing.
3. Soaking food containers in dishwashing liquid for too long
Don’t find the dishes so dirty that you think you have to soak them in diluted bleach overnight to clean them all. In fact, the longer the time to soak the food containers in the cleaning solution, the higher the risk of those chemicals seeping into the dishes. Even chopsticks and spoons made of absorbent materials such as bamboo or wood cannot be cleaned when soaked in chemicals.
4. Use bleach to clean chipped tools
When using bleach to clean, the possibility of chemicals remaining on the chipped surface is very high. Even rinsing with water is difficult to clean thoroughly.
5. Take too much dishwashing liquid for one use
Sometimes seeing that the dishes are too dirty, housewives are afraid of not washing properly, so they use a large amount of dishwashing liquid to mix in water with a concentrated concentration. According to researchers, it is true that a large amount of detergent will increase cleaning efficiency. However, its side effect is that it is very difficult to wash off all the chemicals, the remaining substances will mix with the food when the tool is reused.
6. Use soap/detergent to wash dishes
Most of the chemical ingredients used in the soap are more toxic than dishwashing liquid, and there are even some chemicals that cause cancer. When using detergent to wash food containers, chemicals may be left in the washing and rinsing process, potentially causing hepatitis, stomach, and gallbladder disease, reducing the resistance of the body…
7. Buy floating dishwashing liquid of unknown origin
In general, all cleaning products contain harmful chemicals but compared with floating cleaning products, there is a greater risk of toxicity to humans. The reason is that the floating products are of unknown origin, and not tested for quality, so they may contain harmful substances that are not allowed to be used. Moreover, because it is arbitrarily prepared, in the process of adding substances together, it can lead to many chemical reactions that give rise to other toxins.
Many people think that the harmful effects of chemicals only make the skin of the hands drier. But some clinical studies also show that toxic substances in cleaning solutions can penetrate through the skin and enter the body through the digestive tract and respiratory tract. As a result, thinning of the skin, if this condition is prolonged, will lead to skin cancer and a number of other dangerous diseases.
Therefore, scientists recommend that it is best to use cleaning solutions of natural origin or cleaning at high temperatures, both to increase cleaning efficiency and to be safe for human health.
8. Don’t wear gloves when washing dishes
No matter how good your dishwashing liquid is, you should protect your hands by wearing gloves every time you wash dishes. For those who have to do the dishwashing work out of the restaurant, in addition to wearing gloves, they should wear a mask to limit long-term exposure to the smell coming from the dishwashing liquid.
Use dishwashing liquid for the environment
– When using detergents, many people often only work hard to achieve the purpose of cleaning stains without knowing that the detergents when released into the environment will pollute water sources, canals, rivers and lakes.
– Because cleaning chemicals in the process of use only work to separate dirt from utensils, not eliminate them. After washing dishes, both bleach and dirt become contaminants, they are poured into sewers and then into rivers, streams, ponds, and polluting water sources. Therefore, to contribute to the protection of the living environment, you need to use dishwashing liquid in particular and detergents in general sparingly.
What Are The Dangers Of Ingesting Dishwashing Detergent?
Many of the toxic chemicals contained in dishwashing detergent are toxic despite being present in only low concentrations, Hunker reports. They point out that sodium carbonate and potassium carbonate are two of the most common ingredients in dishwashing detergent, and ingesting these can cause severe damage such as chemical burns and severe pain in the mouth, lips, tongue, and throat. They add that the same damage can also occur in the esophagus and abdomen in the event of the detergent being ingested.
Poison.org notes that the liquid dishwashing detergent tends to be more harmful than the powder or tablet form because the pH tends to be higher, but adds that powder detergent can cause injuries other than chemical, especially to the eyes if they get on a child’s hands and they are then rubbed into the eye. But the real danger comes from how long a person is exposed to the corrosive product.
If your child ingests dishwashing detergent both Hunker and Poison.org state that you should never induce vomiting! Instead, give the person water to drink and rinse out the mouth as often as possible. Drinking the water will help dilute the detergent in the stomach, hopefully reducing the irritation. You should then contact your local poison control center for further guidance.
While most parents think they’re childproofing their house, they often forget about potentially toxic products they use every day like dishwashing detergent. Many people store their dishwashing detergent under the sink, but unless your cupboards are childproofed you may want to store your detergent out of reach of any children in the house. Hunker also notes that many children actually ingest the dishwasher detergent that is in your dishwasher, before or after the cycle has begun, so it’s imperative to always watch your children if your dishwasher is open.
To prevent any accidents from happening, always make sure your dishwasher detergent is closed properly to avoid allowing easy access to your child. Ensure that anyone visiting your home who may be using the dishwasher follows the same rules and place the detergent out of reach after use.